Solid Waste Rules and Regulations
When should I set my garbage out?
Containers are to be placed at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your designated collection day and removed no more than 24 hours after collection. Residential solid waste containers shall be containers of not more than 35 gallons nor less than ten gallons. Containers shall be leak proof, waterproof, and fitted with a fly-tight lid.
When do I need to use the Nelson County Landfill?
Anytime that you have an item for disposal that is not included in the city's list of acceptable items for curbside pickup, it is your responsibility to arrange for the item to be transported to the Nelson County Landfill. Examples of such items may include large items like refrigerators, deep freezers, junk cars, tires, wastes requiring a special permit, etc.
When is the Landfill open and what does it cost?
The Nelson County Landfill is open 8:00 - 4:30 (M-F) and 8:00 - 12:00 (Sat.) The cost is $7.00 per level pickup load of material. Larger loads are charged at rates set by the Nelson County Fiscal Court.
Whom do I call to complain about the unsightly garbage, refuse, or storage problems in my neighborhood?
The City of Bardstown has a nuisance mitigation system for resolving such matters, and such complaints should be forwarded to City of Bardstown Code Enforcement at 348-5947.
What is acceptable for curbside pickup?
- Normal household garbage such as foodstuff, miscellaneous paper, cardboard, tin cans, bottles, rags, and similar materials.
- Yard refuse such as leaves, grass cuttings, when sealed in plastic bags.
- Brush and tree limbs, when cut to less than 10 foot lengths and stacked neatly near the street. Such refuse shall be placed no closer to the street than the property owner's side of any street ditch or gutter. This service is for occasional residential use, the removal of trees, logs, or refuse resulting from attempts to "clear" large sections of land are not the intended purpose of this service.
- Household and yard furniture, and other bulky objects weighing up to 100 pounds. A resident that desires bulky item pickup must notify the City of Bardstown at least 24 hours prior to placing the item(s) at the curb.
What is NOT acceptable for curbside pickup?
The following items shall not be deposited in solid waste containers and shall not be collected by the City:
(1) Hazardous waste such as syringes, used needles, vials or petroleum products;
(2) Liquid waste such as paint, poisons, acids, explosives, caustics, infectious or biohazard waste materials;
(3) Tires or car parts;
(4) Construction and demolition waste of such size and weight that would cause damage to equipment, such as rolls of carpet or pads;
(5) Batteries; and
(6) Any burning or smoldering materials.
The Solid Waste Coordinator for Nelson County (502-348-1876) may be consulted for the proper disposal of all waste streams listed above and those prohibited by state and local regulations at the Nelson County Landfill.