Frequently Asked Questions
When is my weekly garbage pick-up?
An interactive map can be found on the Sanitation Pick-up Schedule page that displays the weekly residential garbage routes.
When should I have my garbage at the curb for collection?
Containers must be placed at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your designated collection day and removed within 24 hours after collection.
Does the City supply my garbage containers?
No. Residents are required to provide their own garbage containers. Containers can be purchased at most Home goods and/or Hardware stores.
How many containers am I allowed?
Three. Residential solid waste containers shall be containers of not more than 35 gallons nor less than ten gallons.
What is an acceptable size container?
Residential solid waste containers shall be containers of not more than 35 gallons nor less than ten gallons. Containers shall be leak proof, waterproof, and fitted with a fly-tight lid.
Is there a weight limit for each container and/or bundled trash?
Yes. The weight of any individual bundle or container and it's contents shall not exceed 40 pounds.
Can the City dispose of my container?
Yes. Containers not meeting the specifications defined in the Solid Waste Management Ordinance shall be considered waste and will be collected together with their contents and disposed of.
What items are unacceptable for curbside collection?
The following items shall not be deposited in solid waste containers and shall not be collected by the City:
- Hazardous waste such as syringes, used needles, vials or petroleum products;
- Liquid waste such as paint, poisons, acids, explosives, caustics, infectious or biohazard waste materials;
- Tires or car parts;
- Construction and demolition waste of such size and weight that would cause damage to equipment, such as rolls of carpet or pads;
- Batteries; and
- Any burning or smoldering materials.
The Solid Waste Coordinator for Nelson County (502-348-1876) may be consulted for the proper disposal of all waste streams listed above and those prohibited by state and local regulations at the Nelson County Landfill.
Whom should I contact for proper disposal information of unacceptable items?
The Solid Waste Coordinator for Nelson County (502-348-1876) may be consulted for the proper disposal of all unacceptable items and those prohibited by state and local regulations at the Nelson County Landfill.
When is the Landfill open and what does it cost?
The Nelson County Landfill is open 8:00 - 4:30 (M-F) and 8:00 - 12:00 (Sat.) The cost is $7.00 per level pickup load of material. Larger loads are charged at rates set by the Nelson County Fiscal Court.
Why are loose contents left in my gabage container?
All contents of the garbage container must be bagged. Loose contents in the container will not be disposed of.
Why was my garbage not picked up?
There are many reasons why your materials might not be collected. See the troubleshooting list below for the most common issues:
- the garbage can or bag weighed more than 40 lbs or was larger than 35 gallons
- the garbage contained prohibited items
- garbage was set-out in excess of the 3 container / bag limit
- the garbage was not at the curb by 7 a.m. for collection
- the lid on the garbage can was tied down with a bungee cord, a rope or another restraining device
- the garbage was not placed on the curb (it was on private property)
Whom do I call to complain about the unsightly garbage, refuse, or storage problems in my neighborhood?
The City of Bardstown has a nuisance mitigation system for resolving such matters, and such complaints should be forwarded to City of Bardstown Code Enforcement at 348-5947.