Further Updates on Network Disruption
FROM THE CITY OF BARDSTOWN, KY
Update On City of Bardstown, Kentucky Network Disruption
As previously announced, in the early morning of Friday, September 2, 2022, the City of Bardstown IT team identified a network disruption that impacted certain operations and has caused some of our information systems to be offline. Upon identification of the disruption, the City of Bardstown immediately initiated our IT response and containment protocols, and external cyber forensics experts were engaged to investigate. While the investigation remains ongoing, we are advising that
we were the victim of a cyberattack involving ransomware.
Working around the clock through the holiday weekend, our priorities have been fully investigating the cyberattack and getting services restored for our customers and constituents. So far, we have successfully restored all Bardstown Connect customer email accounts that are hosted by the City and brought back internet services for a vast majority of impacted residents. Our investigation into the scope of the incident is ongoing, and we will provide prompt updates as we are able. Out of an abundance of caution, it is always advisable when incidents of this nature occur to remain vigilant by reviewing your credit reports and account statements and reporting any unusual activity.
Protecting the security of Bardstown Connect customers’ information, and the city websites that so many rely on, are responsibilities we take very seriously. With cyberattacks at an all-time high, our IT team is working closely with the cybersecurity experts to further harden our systems to help prevent a recurrence.
We apologize for any inconvenience and concern this event has caused and will continue to provide updates on the situation as we know more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What systems have been restored?
- Internet and Wi-Fi services that were impacted by this event have been restored for a vast majority of Bardstown Connect residential and commercial customers.
- Bardstown Connect customer email services are now fully restored and operational. Bardstown Connect email users will need to update their email password to regain access. If there are any issues regaining access, please reach out to our IT team at 502-348-7800.
- On the city web services front, we are continuing to make good progress in restoring remaining systems that were impacted by this network disruption.
- We have no reason to believe personal computers of our customers were affected by this network disruption.
- After an incident of this kind, it is important to remain vigilant when it comes to protecting your information online. We recommend that Bardstown Connect customers and residents review their credit reports and account statements and report any unusual activity. There are several free resources available. On AnnualCreditReport.com, you are entitled to a free annual credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies, including Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. There are additional identity theft protection resources available from the Federal Trade Commission at www.identitytheft.gov.
- Consistent with existing policy the City will provide reimbursement to those customers whose service was interrupted for more than 24 hours for the period of lost service. If you have questions, please contact us at 502-348-5947.